The scholarship scheme aims to bring together hard working and successful young people from marginalised countries, particularly those suffering as victims of proxy wars.
Scholarship students will:
- receive a once in a lifetime opportunity to study at a fully accredited international school whose graduates have received places from top universities in the world;
- develop a sense of our ‘global village’ and cultivate a true world-view;
- enjoy living on a private international co-educational campus in a beautiful, safe tropical setting;
- experience the personal challenge of studying living away from home for a number of years;
- contribute to their home country’s economic and social development by enriching the pool of expertise;
- experience at first hand the vibrancy of East Asian and Thai culture;
- study for the IB Diploma and graduate with qualifications with world-wide respect and value;
- improve English to full fluency in a school where all teachers are native English speakers;
- travel both in Thailand and possibly beyond through the Regent’s enrichment programmes and
- make friends with students of internationally oriented families from over 35 different countries and establish a network of friends and contacts for life.
This must be via a nominated organisation and not by an individual. The invited nominating organization has the privilege of nominating students age 16 and below who:
- are of above average academic ability;
- have keen interest in and contribute to extracurricular activities such as community service, music, sport, outdoor pursuits in school or the wider community and are good role models to their peers.
About The Regent’s International School Bangkok
- There are currently 650 students from 35 countries studying at the Regent’s International School, Bangkok.
- Recent International Baccalaureate results at Regent’s are the best in Thailand and every year the school out-performs the global IB world average. IGCSE results are above UK averages in every subject.
- Recent graduates were accepted to study at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial College, King’s College London, UCL, etc in the UK; Stanford, Wharton, Cornell, UC-Berkeley and other prestigious institutions in the US. Most leavers attend universities featured on the world’s top 200.
- Approximately 85% of boarding students at The Regent’s International School, Bangkok are international students. The schools is fully accredited by Council of International Schools, is a member of the Federation of British International Schools in Asia and also a member of The Boarding Schools Association.
- At present under the Global Connect Programme, there are scholars from Estonia, Slovakia, Lithuania, Armenia, Bhutan and Nepal.
- Afghanistan is already under Nation Rebuilding Scholarship Programme. Iraq and Rwanda are being invited to join.
- The selection process involves challenging tests in both English and Mathematics and an on-line assessment. Short-listed candidates will be interview via Skype.
- Successful applicants will be notified well in advance of the new academic year.
Costs and sponsorship
- The scholars will study the IB Diploma programme, the full cost is approximately USD 50,000 per student for the 2 year course.
- The scholarship covers all initial fees, all tuition fees, boarding accommodation costs and meals during term time. Full details of the fees can be found here.
- The costs not covered by the scholarship include flights, uniform, books, examination fees, insurance, visas and out of pocket expenses (such as school and holiday trips). These personal expenses and items could total approximately USD 4,000 per year exclusive of airfares.
- Every applicant will need a supporter or sponsor willing to cover these personal costs and their application should include a letter of commitment from the donor specifying what will be given and when it will be provided. It should indicate that donor is providing a scholarship for the named student or students over a specific number of years.
The timings for the awards are as follows:
- By end of April Nomination deadline. Nominees should complete the on-line application form.
- By end of May:
- Written tests in Mathematics and English.
- Interview via Skype with School Principal.
- Results are announced.
- By end of June: Donor to support airfare and personal expenses are confirmed
- By end of July: Passport and visa are secured
- 21 August: Arrival at the school